Monday, August 8, 2011

Today's Workout

Dropped the kids off at Child Watch at the YMCA and did my thing. This is pretty usual for my routine, though I vary the length of time:

1) I'm not sure what this machine is called, but it's similar to an elliptical, except you can force a short or long stride as you go. I did 55 minutes on that, burning (according to the machine, which may or not be accurate) about 575 calories.

2) I did three leg machines that strengthen calves, hamstrings, and glutes.

3) The machines for arms were full, so I used another elliptical-type machine that works out the glutes and thighs. 10 minutes, about 75 calories burned.

4) Finally, a machine to work out the arms opened up. I was able to use two different machines, "lifting" 55 pounds each.

5) With the third machine for arms in constant use by a group using a personal trainer, I set my goals on another leg weight machine that strengthens the inner and outer thighs. I used 65 pounds on the inner thighs, 125 pounds on the outer.

6) Finished off my workout with stretching.

In all, I spent my usual 1 1/2 hours working out. I also set up an appointment to get my body fat tested. I have a scale at home that gives you a percentage of your body fat, but it varies between 25 and 37% for me...sometimes in the same day. I asked about that, and the trainer told me that it depends on how hydrated one is for complete accuracy. Ah.

The reason I want to know my body fat percentage is that since I've been working out 4 days a week instead of 2, I've put on nearly four pounds. Is it fat, or muscle though? Am I at a healthy body fat weight? (Please don't tell me I have to give up my cookies and ice cream! Okay. I'll cut down if I must...)

I am finding the heel of my left foot is achy. Could it be my brand new sneakers? I suppose I should try using a different pair the rest of the week and see if it helps. If not, I may have to use a different type of machine for awhile.

First rule of thumb: if something aches, your body is telling you there is a problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment