Thursday, August 11, 2011

Rainbow Salsa


Thanks to my friend Lisa C. for supplying me with this recipe. I've tweaked it to make it even more visually appealing, thus the name Rainbow Salsa.

Ingredients:

(You can use any vegetables you prefer, but these tend to hold up the best in this recipe.)

1/2 red onion
1 green pepper
1 red pepper
1 orange pepper
1 yellow pepper
1 cucumber
1 can Shoepeg corn
1 can blackeyed peas
1/4 cup agave nectar (in place of 1/2 cup sugar)
1/4 cup canola oil (I use the Crisco with Omega-3)
2 Tbs. Tiger Sauce (found in the condiment section of the store. It's a small bottle and you may have to search for this, but it is the "secret ingredient" and it makes the recipe!)

Mix the agave syrup (or sugar, if you prefer), the canola oil, and the Tiger sauce together in a large bowl. Drain the corn and blackeyed peas. Add them to the liquid. Chop the vegetables into small pieces (a food processor makes this a snap!). Add these to the mix. Stir well and refrigerate for at least an hour. For tortilla chips, I usually cut corn tortillas into triangles. I preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Then I brush olive oil onto the triangles and coat lightly with sea salt. I bake them until they become crispy and darken slightly. (Roughly 10-15 minutes, I believe.) Better than the store bought kind, and better for you, fat-wise.

No comments:

Post a Comment