Monday, May 28, 2012

Happiness Is...Running Without Pain

I haven't been running much because of my bad foot and some new sciatic nerve problem I've developed. Apparently age is creeping up on me. Anyhow, I decided to run four miles Saturday and managed to do it without collapsing.

During my run, there's this yard I pass on the way home where a man has planted rocks in semi-circle formation. Because of the way the rocks face, it always looks like his landscaping is smiling at me. For some reason, the thought of reaching that keeps me going.


By the way, if you are a sports clothing designer, may I suggest making running shorts with pockets? With my awful outdoor allergies, I need to keep a handful of tissue handy. It would also be nice not to have to tie my house key to my shoelaces. And if I could keep my phone somewhere instead of holding it in my hand as I run, that would be even better! So a roomy zippered pocket would be ideal. Yes, I am aware there are fanny packs (so archaic, aren't they?) and I own one. But even tied as tight as I can make it, it slides up and down my waist as I run. Oh, and I suggest always to take a phone with you in case you run into trouble or suddenly don't feel well. Especially in this heat. You could have a heart attack or stroke. 


I'm not sure what's going on with sciatic nerve thingamajig. But my sister says she gets that pain too, so I'm guessing it's hereditary. I do know that two pairs of my sneakers give me heel pain. Maybe they need to be replaced? My Asics so far are the only pair I can wear and feel comfortable. 


Do you have pain when you run? Do you have a favorite pair of sneakers? What do you bring with you when you run? I'm curious to know!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment