Wednesday, December 21, 2011

When a Cold Derails Your Fitness Plans

I know you've probably heard it before...exercising in moderation while ill is A-okay. And I've jumped on the treadmill while nursing a runny nose. But when there is coughing, sneezing, and a dripping tissue poking from your waistband, that is not acceptable in a public venue such as the public gym. Can you say YUCK? Because no one lifting 50-pound weights wants to leave there with someone's mucous on their bodies, okay?

Stay home and work-out, or give yourself the day (or week) off.

Now that I have that out of the way...I have been sick for almost a week now, and not exercising, natch. Part of the reason? Although I am on the mend, my children are just getting into the swing of things with their colds. (Read: my cold that I gave them.)

I am not practicing what I preach. I have not lifted cans of soup , or the weights stored somewhere in the closet. I am not running in place. I'm not even crawling around on the floor vacuuming beneath the couches (a fantastic workout, to be truthful). No. I am running up and down stairs feeding the quarantined child. I am trying in vain to keep child with pink eye (who would be quarantines if he were older and would stay in his room) from locating child with hacking cough and exchanging illnesses like they were spectacular presents.

At the end of the day, because I am still sick and coughing myself, I drag myself to bed. No workout. I know I will regret this when I get on the elliptical next week. But what can I do? I can't get to the gym during the day because I can't take the kids out of the house.

So for anyone who is going through this, or has gone through this, I get it. Don't kick yourself in the muscled tush. (And if you're flexible enough to do that, no worries!) Just get back to your workout schedule as soon as possible. I will let you know what that is...

After I put my son with the hacking cough back in his bedroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment